6827Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Might be picking up some DEC stuff

  • David Gesswein
    Jan 4, 2008
      > Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
      > There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
      > from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
      > the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
      > insistent on boot floppies.

      DECmate I (VT278) was in a VT100 terminal case and normally used external
      8" floppies in a narrow pedestal. DECmate II was a large desktop PC style
      with internal 5 1/4 floppies (nosiest I have ever heard) and uses an 11"
      exernal monitor (VR201) and cable that is DEC specific. DECmate III was a
      smaller version of the DECmate II. They have limited expandability. DECmate I
      can use external RL hard drives and DECmate II/III had an internal hard
      drive option. They also had auxilary processor options.

      The DECmate II/III floppies can be read/written by a PC with 5 1/4 high
      density drive. If you don't get floppies I can make you some for
      any of them.

      WPS word processing and OS/8 (most popular PDP-8 operating system) runs on
      them. Not all OS/8 software will run due to incompatabilities of some of
      the peripherals.

      Machines without front panel are not as popular but they give you a small
      system if you are interested in playing with 8's.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic