6815Speaking of projects....

  • Ian King
    Jan 1, 2008
      Speaking of projects....

      I picked up an Overland Data 9-track on eBay a while back, and I've had no success finding any documentation for it.  This is particularly important because when I turn it on, it just flashes its lights at me.  It's an OD 3210 GCR, and it has both standard Pertec connectors and a connector/cable intended for a PC parallel port.  It would sure be cool to run off magtape images I have found on the web, then load them on one of the DEC machines….

      When I opened it up, I noticed it has a watch battery on its electronics board; needless to say, that was NG.  I replaced it, but the thing still just blinks at me.  The battery suggests there are settings it wants to persist, and I've seen this behavior with older PC motherboards where they won't pass POST if the battery isn't up to snuff.  I'm wondering if there is some magic switch press sequence or perhaps even some commands it expects to see over that parallel port line (from some PC-based app, perhaps).

      Does anybody have any leads on this?  Thanks.

      BTW, what I have is mostly DEC but also a fair amount of Data General, and while my information library is by no means comprehensive, I have some unusual items.  I have three PDP-8s, seven PDP-11s and I've sort of lost track of how many VAXen - those 3100s just seem to multiply like bunnies.  :-)  I also have a couple of DG machines, and of course a range of peripherals including paper tape readers, magtape drives, various fixed and removable disks, some terminals and DEC 'glue' pieces like DECservers and an InfoServer to upload their OS.  Needless to say, I try to have documentation for all this, so that gives you an idea of what I might have!  (Oh, I just picked up an RS/6000 with AIX 3.2.)

      Again, thanks from the "other" coast.  -- Ian (Seattle)

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic