6785RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: A new MARCH idea...

    Dec 27, 2007
      I agree with most of what you said.

      You're probably right about bins quickly becoming unsorted, but that applies
      to shelves, too. We probably will have to use traditional shelves just
      because they can hold more books per square foot than horizontal bins. This
      is an issue because we're going to START with far more than 200 books, maybe
      more than 1,000 (okay, probably not 1,000, but there are at least a few
      hundred already in InfoAge's possession. Rather than sort them strictly by
      category and then alphabetically inside each category, I think the easiest
      method is to sort them only * generally * by category, and leave it at that.
      I agree with you about using simple colored dots to indicate the prices and
      a simple lockbox-and-paper method of tracking the sales. (Back in 2000, at
      eWeek, I interviewed Scott Cook who founded Intuit. Of his company's new
      hosted accounting software, he explained, "It's for people who think General
      Ledger was a World War II hero.")

      Anyway, it sounds like most people agree with what Fred and I think, which
      is that book sales are an easy(-ish) way to make a few dollars for InfoAge
      and MARCH, clear some valuable space, and provide a community service.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic