6622OT: you'll all be so proud

    Dec 2, 2007
      Message
      I've been saving my nickels and dimes to buy a proprietary engine management computer for my Miata next spring.  The one I want costs around $2,000, which sucks.  Today I learned about a new competitor to that -- it's open source!  I can get the necessary D-I-Y parts for around $350, or buy one assembled and tested and customized for around $750.  Sweet!  (Better yet, the proprietary model has to be disconnected and replaced with the crappy stock computer to pass inspection every two years, whereas the open-source version has an ODBII feature.)

      I figured you guys would be proud of me for going with the open-source, community project route, instead of the Buy-From-The-Man route.  :)

      - Evan

      PS - In other news: didn't go to the museum today, because of the weather, but that gave me time to open my PC and give it a thorough cleaning.  It runs MUCH more quite now.  The area around the two fans was especially filthy.  Before it sounded like trash compactor.  Now it's a soft buzz.)
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic