6618Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Spare components

  • Mike Hatch
    Dec 1, 2007
      > I think it's a problem worth discussing (if anyone is interested) in
      > MARCH. After all, we get donations from people who are also looking to
      > get rid of stuff, only it's whole computers and not (generally) parts.
      > I think the fundamental problems of an online exchange include the
      > same problems organizations like MARCH have. Namely, cataloging what
      > you have; making it available; working out shipping. All these are
      > costs of time or space or transport. It's tougher for small parts,
      > particularly onesies. If Mike can solve these problems, or help people
      > solve them in order to list and provide parts, I'd certainly like to
      > see his solution! I wish him well. I sent him a bit more discussion as
      > he suggested.

      Its possible this would be better served by a listing in Freecycle. My
      problem with that is that Freecycle model seems to be a fast turnover
      system with "I have this" or "I want that". In the vintage computer /
      component area I though this challenge response system might be too
      restrictive (possibly).

      Although some work to set up initially in cataloging, I thought a central
      repository of parts where you could search for bits when you need them and
      then email the owner directly might work better. (For the paranoid the
      emails are encoded off site and do not appear in the page code).

      Those individual "Fred" & "Mike" pages could be set up for Fred to upload
      his own data as a text file used to generate the "Fred" page with a bit of
      coding, that way each member of the system could change it as and when
      they had time.

      Shipping would only occour if somebody wanted some of your parts and it's
      then up to the two parties to agree at that time pretty much as you seem
      do do now. The PITA is for each to catalog what they have or want to be
      available, sorry I can't do that for you, but I can host the pages and
      provide the means for each to list what they have to help others - parts,
      systems, bits Etc..

      Best regards,
      Mike Hatch
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic