6190Re: [midatlanticretro] not quite vintage...anyone have early 90's MS Access?

    Oct 5, 2007
      At 09:03 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
      >Bill,
      >
      >Ah ha! So we need to break the developer and/or administrator password in
      >the file as well. Such tools are available and I might have something that
      >will work. First step is to get a version of Access that recognizes the
      >MDB file. Most versions of Access will open and convert (import) files
      >from the two prior versions. The version in Office 2.0 begot Access 95
      >which begot 97 and 2000 and XP and 2003 and 2007.

      I did not know there was a Access 95.

      ><soapbox> This is why digital information is so fragile and it's important
      >to collect software before it becomes "vintage" and why Sellam's software
      >preservation project is important and illustrates why Microsoft
      >"standards" are not and why ODF should be. </soapbox>
      >
      >Jim

      Just between you and me (warning NON vintage computer comment, avert your eyes)

      I have been archiving everything I think is important to date, not just
      stopping at 1986 or whatever vintage computing is at present. Eventually
      Windows 95 will be some kind of vintage.

      Unfortunately I do not have a working Windows 3.1/95 bridge system. I have
      the software but not a PC easily accessible. I cannot therefore load the
      software, "Pro CD Internet Directory" - the reason I have been trying to
      just get at the DOMAIN.MDB database instead. If worse comes to worse I
      will put a Windows 95 system together and install the software. From there
      I could probably run some kind of extract to get at the database from the
      program itself.