      Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 12:08 PM
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: MARCH PDP-11 exhibit, project update

      > > I was reading a Dr Dobb's the other night from 79 or 80 that had
      a little side bar article discussing the
      > > census and telling the readers to write to the census bureau with
      suggestions for how to do it better,
      > > faster, more accurately, etc. Ie, design the microcomputer based
      system (!) that would replace the
      > > machine Herb just documented.

      > "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli@. ..> wrote:

      > I would think it unreasonable to think that Census Bureau had only
      > that one little PDP-11/20 at the time...

      I'm still documenting the system, first of all. Second, my initial
      understanding is that this system was used by the DEVELOPERS at NBS
      who developed some of those scanning systems used by the Census
      Bureau. Many computers were used of course by the Census Bureau, at
      many locations - I've read as much. As for the Dr. Dobb's article, I'd
      appreciate a specific reference so I could look it up.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
      http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror