5928Re: [midatlanticretro] Important museum update

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Aug 6, 2007
      Dan Roganti wrote:
      > A blowtorch, as suggested previously, has a much higher temp than a
      > heatgun, >1000F
      > At least with a heatgun, you can use the low setting , usually 700/800F
      > Even a heatgun can cause burn spots in wood if not used correctly.
      > In combination with the large surface area of the sheet metal doorframe
      > creates a heatsink which disperses the heat.
      > An old trick I always do on a window pane is to cover the window glass
      > with sheet metal to protect it from cracking under the heat when
      > removing old paint.

      I've done a fair amount of work restoring old wooden fireplace mantles.
      I've found that there are quite a few solvents out there that work
      just as well as heat, but are much more gentle. Just read some of the
      reviews.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic