5927Re: [midatlanticretro] Important museum update

  • Dan Roganti
    Aug 6 12:58 PM

      In any event, you might have to resort to just painting over to avoid any EPA issues regarding paint removal/fumes on an old gov't/state installation since there's most likely lead in that paint--in some or all the layers--there's strict guidelines for lead paint removal. Something Fred probably didnt want to elaborate to avoid giving you any more headaches :)

      A blowtorch, as suggested previously, has a much higher temp than a heatgun, >1000F
      At least with a heatgun, you can use the low setting , usually 700/800F
      Even a heatgun can cause burn spots in wood if not used correctly.
      In combination with the large surface area of the sheet metal doorframe creates a heatsink which disperses the heat.
      An old trick I always do on a window pane is to cover the window glass with sheet metal to protect it from cracking under the heat when removing old paint.

      =Dan

      William Donzelli wrote:

      > You van try using a Heatgun (not a hairdryer) it's not as lethal as a blowtorch, but still effective. It'll make the paint layers bubble up so you can scrape it off with a putty knife.

      If the metal doorframes come anywhere near contact with wood, even
      studs inside the walls, using a heat gun is ABSOLUTELY NOT
      RECOMMENDED. The risk for fire is very large. If the metal doorframes
      ONLY touch masonry, you can use a heat gun.

      Heatguns are OK on wood, of course.

      --
      Will