578Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM Series I wrap up

    May 26, 2005
      Bill,

      "asynch card" is IBMese for a serial port. Any serial port will do. If the PC
      end is a 9-pin, then you will need a 9-pin to 25-pin adapter. These were very
      common in the days of analog (dial-up) modems. Next you need to know how the
      ports on the Series 1 are wired. I would expect them to be wired the same as
      a 25-pin PC and thus you will need a null-modem cable/adapter to cross the
      appropriate pairs. Hopefully your manuals have the pin-outs for the serial
      ports on the Series 1.

      Last you need a terminal emulator for the PC that can make the PC pretend to
      be a 3101. There were so many terminal programs back in the DOS days that I
      can't think of any right now. After sitting and looking at the screen, I
      remembered Procomm. This was a shareware program from the 80's that might
      speak 3101. Is the PC going to be running DOS? I must have some of these
      programs archived on tape somewhere...

      Jim

      --- billdeg@... wrote:
      > I thought I'd wrap up the discussion about the IBM Series I. Thank you
      > for
      > the information received from members of this group.
      >
      > I spoke with a former IBM salesperson at length again about using the
      > series
      > 1. He used to sell them, but he was not a tech. He said that most of the
      >
      > time they sold 3101 monitors, which are ASCII. He said that using a PC
      > with a
      > asynch card would do the trick. I am sure that I can find the exact card
      > part number in my documentation. Once I find it I will make another post
      > request one for trade), and perhaps some pictures.
      > That's it.
      >
      > Bill

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic