5605Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS-80 software

  • Bryan Pope
    Jun 5, 2007
      Hex Star wrote:
      > On 6/5/07, Herb Johnson <hjohnson@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I thought about various replies to this. But I read your other posts,
      >> and I decided I don't have much of a response. Whatever it is you are
      >> doing, seems to me the issues raised have little to do with "vintage
      >> computing", which is what I expect to read about in this mail list.
      >> How you intend to service your potential "vintage computing" clients,
      >> is for you to sort out. Since my advice was not useful or relevant, I
      >> won't offer more.
      >>
      >> Herb Johnson
      >>

      > It is snide comments like yours that are unappreciated. My server is
      > doing fine thank you very much. And my server is very much vintage
      > computing oriented, in fact it is completely vintage computing
      > oriented. I get many daily visitors and many new visitors as well and
      > constantly get people saying how they enjoy my server and all the
      > vintage software on it.

      His comments were not "snide" in any shape or form. Herb was trying to
      be helpful in his first post to you and made a couple of very good
      points which you blew off.

      > I do not appreciate you referring to my visitors as "clients", this is
      > rude and very inappropriate. My visitors are not "clients" at all as
      > you say because my server is not in any way, shape, or form a pay
      > server. It is a completely free and open server with no bandwidth or
      > downloading restrictions and many people who enjoy vintage computing
      > enjoy and benefit from my offering.
      >

      > cli·ent (klnt)
      > /n./
      > *1. * The party for which professional services are rendered, as by an
      > attorney.
      > *2. * A customer or patron: clients of the hotel.
      > *3. * A person using the services of a social services agency.
      > *4. * One that depends on the protection of another.
      > *5. * A client state.
      > *6. * /Computer Science/ A computer or program that can download files
      > for manipulation, run applications, or request application-based
      > services from a file server.
      > vis·i·tor (vz-tr)
      > /n./
      > One that visits: Sunday afternoon visitors; lost the game to the visitors.
      Visitor and client are pretty close, but "client" is the better word as
      you are providing a service (vintage computing repository). You choose
      to provide said services for free. Also, you have a server and the
      computers who connect to you are called clients! ;)

      > The KDX client is perfectly fine for this audience as there is a
      > client for Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Linux, and Windows. This woks because
      > in today's world those who still surf the web on their vintage
      > computers are in the minority, most people simply download the vintage
      > software they are in need of from the internet on their more modern
      > computer and then transfer the file(s) from their more modern computer
      > to their vintage computer.

      It is still a closed protocol with closed software by an unknown
      company. This software also needs to communicate with the internet so
      there is also a matter of trust.

      > I do not know why you seem to have a grudge against me but I wish to
      > politely request that if all you have to say is snide remakrs to me
      > that you do not respond to my posts, thank you :)

      Herb does *not* have a grudge against you. He was only trying to help
      you. You have decided that his comments were "snide" and "rude".

      Here is a tip: When you join a new mailing-list group, you should take
      some time and read past messages plus the new messages coming in to get
      a feel for the group. This way you may be able to better understand the
      list members who post here regularly and see how everything ebbs and
      flows...

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic