5437building new vintage hardware (was 680..)

    May 5 5:45 AM
      <snip>

      I won't retire off selling add-ons for old machines, but I get a lot of neat stories from
      people about their old machines.  I also get a fair amount of vintage equipment offered
      to me since clearly I care about that older stuff.  It's fun.

      My boards are for the KIM-1, which was produced in fairly large quantities compared to
      some other systems.  I keep toying with the idea of building new S-100 cards since used
      ones on eBay go for so much and always carry no guarantee.  While not truly vintage, it
      is "vintage-like" because old components are used.  From the software perspective, it IS
      vintage... old CPUs that you've got to write a bootstrap for, etc.

      Bob

      There is nothing wrong with putting non-vintage hardware in a vintage machine IMHO.  From a testing perspective new parts can be the key to diagnosing vintage part problems.  You can compare and contrast the vintage part with the new part to troubleshoot.  When it's time for an exhibit, swap the vintage part back into the system.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic