541RE: [midatlanticretro] Sculptural Processor was Re: New Member - classic vs. vintage

  • Evan
    May 19, 2005
      Very powerful computer made of entirely fragile electromechanical parts = the Hitchhikers Guide entry for "Earth"    :)

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of msimonsmail
      Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 11:28 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Sculptural Processor was Re: New Member - classic vs. vintage

      " I think it would be even fun to build the equivalent of an 8086
      using only transistors. It would only take 29,000 of them! Anyone
      interested in building a replica Univac? I know a dude who has like
      1,000 tubes in his basement. It's a start..."

      Yes, I thought about this a while back...

      that is, building a 'modern' processor out of transistors and misc
      components.

      I envision a big ball of transistors each soldered to each other as
      appropriate...

      --
      MS

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic