5223Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC and XT IS vintage (was: Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone)

    Apr 1 5:44 PM
      OS/2 and the PS/2 are OK with me personally. I think however, there is
      legit disagreement about whether these are "vintage".

      My very first job was at IBM as a college intern, and in the spring of '87
      they launched OS/2 and the PS/2 line was only a few months old. Later in
      the Spring the AS/400 was launched. I am not ready for 1987 to be vintage
      yet, makes me feel old. :-)
      Bill

      At 06:22 PM 4/1/2007 -0400, you wrote:
      >Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's correct
      > > -- context beats age.
      > >
      > > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.
      > >

      >Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
      >out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited
      >subset of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same
      >league. IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the
      >time and still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both
      >PS/2's and OS/2 have unfortunately met their end of life.
      >
      >Mark
      >

      >--
      >
      > From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel
      >
      > Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org
      > Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstock.net
      >

      >For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE -
      >http://www.os2voice.org
      >
      > "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the
      >growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their
      >democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of
      >government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
      >power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly
      >Investigation, 1938
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic