5220RE: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC and XT IS vintage (was: Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone)

    Apr 1, 2007
      Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's correct -- context beats age.

      But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

      From: B. Degnan [mailto:billdeg@...]
      Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 10:45 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC and XT IS vintage (was: Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone)

      At 09:39 AM 4/1/2007 -0400, you wrote:
      Oh man... Evan's gonna have heart-failure!!! :-D

      (BTW - I agree with you Bill.) ;)

      --Timster--

      I am sure that he has nothing against list discussion topics regarding the IBM PC and XT, but speaking for Evan the line of the newer Windows-capable machines is off-topic in most cases.  Nothing is set in stone, and the context is more important than the model year.

      Bill

      Scott,
      An XT Clone is ON topic. I already have too many of these kinds of systems
      myself, but I hope someone takes up your offer. It's very useful to have a
      5 1/4" disk IBM-format system on hand, and a clone is nice because you
      don't have to risk damaging a brand-name box. Install a 720K 3.5" drive
      and you have a bridge between old and new.

      Further, I believe that IBM PC and XT is overlookedas an important vintage
      computer. The PC is one of the top 5 most important microcomputers in the
      era 1974-86, or any time for that matter..It would be apt if someone
      exhibited an IBM PC (or clone) at VCF this year. You can review the past
      VCF's and note the under-representation of the IBM PC from the list of
      exhibits...an easy exhibit for someone new to VCF.