5008Re: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

  • William Pechter
    Feb 24, 2007
      I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
      Anyone looking let me know.

      Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.

      I've also got about 10 ISA network cards and a pile of SCSI cards...
      1542 Adaptecs and such.

      As far as "Firewall Construction Set" -- right now my minimum box for a
      firewall is a PII400 with 256 memory.

      Overkill -- a bit -- but it runs IPCOP and does web filtering (Dans
      Guardian) and web cache (Squid) for my house keeping my kid out of
      trouble.

      It also interfaces my pair of wireless access points.

      There's a number of FreeBSD/Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD firewall pieces out
      there and some pretty full implementations with web control panels.

      I really like the IPCOP, Smoothwall, MonoWall and ClarkConnect
      distribuitions.

      The neatest thing I saw was the old GTA GnatBox free firewall floppy.
      I haven't tried their newer versions.

      Bill
      --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

      > If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm
      > about
      > to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.
      >
      > One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card. We used
      > this computer
      > and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s. It's
      > been sitting on
      > a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing
      > and need the
      > room!
      >
      > Bob

      Bill Pechter