      Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

      Bob,

      Everyone in the club will have a different answer to this based on their personal interests. The last event we held was a swap meet and the rule was a manufacturing date before 1990. This was entirely approriate for that event but is not a hard rule for the club as a whole. Retro or vintage is in the eye of the beholder. The really hard core people think anything made after the IBM PC was introduced is "too new", so there is a wide range. The point is we all enjoy collecting and working with older computers that are based on obsolete technology. I'm probably the most inclusive person in the club as I enjoy playing with early Windows on 286 and 386 machines which makes some people shudder. I'm also fascinated by computer networking and enjoy learning about everything from NETBIOS to SNA to DECNET to TCP/IP. A high "coolness factor" increases the "vintageness" of a newer machine.

      My first home computer was a genuine IBM XT, so I have no experience with pre-DOS machines. However, my computing experience goes back to FORTRAN programming on punch cards in college in 1964. In the early 70's I used GE timesharing on a Model 33 teletype running 110 baud (300 cost too much). So my interests lie more with big iron. Right now I'm working on restoring/configuri ng a micro-VAX that was probably manufactured in the early 90's. This is obviously obsolete technology despite the year and the all text mono terminals make for high coolness. This will become part of our museum.

      What kind of network are the ISA cards you're trashing at work? We need some Tokenring cards of all bus flavors as well as the MAU devices that functioned like a hub on a Tokenring network. Examples of ArcNet cards would be welcome and we will undoubtedly need some ISA Ethernet cards at some point - both 8-bit and 16-bit bus. I have one or two StarLAN cards (full length 8-bit ISA) but no drivers or hubs. I also have some IBM PC Network (broadband network) cards but no other hardware or software. Someday I would like to be able to document or even demonstrate all of these technologies at our museum, so we need to accumulate the bits and pieces whenever we can.

      Jim