4671Re: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius II work processor

    Dec 6, 2006
      She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
      a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

      At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

      >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
      Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
      quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
      net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
      2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
      II work processor

      > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
      certainly not because
      >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
      we have to
      >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

      II
> [...]
      as both
      >keyboard and printer. It's basically a typewriter rigged to work
      with the
      >computer via a round din jack.
      >5) Includes another similar terminal printer, unsure of the operational
      >status.
      >6) There were a lot of references to cpm/86 in the manuals, but
      not a lot of
      >technical data.
      >
      >I DID take the IBM AT she had, also in pristine condition, for myself.
      >
      >Bill
      >
      >At 07:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
      >>Since MARCH has Interdata/Perkin- Elmer equipment, this is a pretty
      neat
      >>addition to the collection. It shows a bit of computer history
      >>relative to one man's contributions.
      >>

      >>Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote :
      >>
      >> > Bill P., thanks for that helpful data!
      >> >
      >> > Bill D., let's definitely save this computer for our "Computers of
      >> > New Jersey" exhibit.  (A friendly reminder: I envision our
      >> > first two
      >> exhibits
      >> > being "Computers of the Military" to honor our museum benefactors
      >> > and
      >> "Computers
      >> > of New Jersey" to appeal to the local audience.  After
      that we
      >> > can
      >> get into
      >> > exhibits of personal interest to everyone involved.)
      >> >

      >> > From: William Pechter
      >> > [mailto:bpechter@yahoo. com] Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:33
      >> > PMTo: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re:
      >> > [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius II work processor Syntrex
      was in
      >> > Eatontown, NJ and did high end work processing systems for Legal
      >> > Offices etc.  They were founded by a number of people
      >> connected
      >> > to Interdata and Bell Labs.They did their development on a pair of
      >> > PDP11/70's on Unix and built their stuff in C with an 80x86
      (I think
      >> 80186 maybe
      >> > 80286) as the target platform.  They used 8 and 14 inch
      >> winchesters and had
      >> > mirror disks and stuff very early on in office automation.I
      was the
      >> > DEC Field Engineer doing maintenance on their RP04's and RP05's
      that
      >> > they
      >> had on the
      >> > 11/70's.The building's since been used by Manhattan Bagel and a
      >> > number of other companies.  Last I heard of Syntrex was the
      >> > late
      >> 80's.  PC
      >> > Lan stuff and Microsoft NT server killed them.  They were high
      >> function
      >> > stuff -- but their price was lower than minicomputers but higher
      >> > than PC stuff.There' s a connection to MARCH with these... they
      were
      >> > highly redundant and networked word processing workstations.
      Took a
      >> > half hour and found the following From 1979 to 1992, Mr. Sinnott
      was
      >> > the founder,
      >> President and CEO of Syntrex Inc.       Due
      to the
      >> rapid development of the computer, Syntrex Inc. was sold to
      >>           Phoenix Technologies in
      1992 in
      >> a chapter
      >> 11 restructuring. Prior to founding      Syntrex,
      Inc., Mr.
      >> Sinnott founded Interdata Incorporated, a company that
      >>      developed, designed and manufactured the first
      >> 32-bit mini-computer. BillB
      >> > Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com> wrote:
      >> > Anyone
      >> > interested in a Syntrex Aquarius II word processing system? It's
      >> basically
      >> > a 1983 computer with a boot disk, etc. I am going to take
      a look at
      >one
      >> > later today, if anyone wants it (I don't) let me know. I will
      have
      >more
      >> > details later. Not much on the web about these.
      >> > Collectible/ historical? Bill-- E N D
      >> > --Yahoo! Groups
      >> > Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go
      >> > to:http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/<
      *> Your
      >> > email settings:Individual Email | Traditional& lt;*> To change
      >> > settings online go
      >> > to:http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join(Yahoo!
      ID
      >> > required)< *> To change settings via
      >> > email:mailto:midatlanticretro- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
      >> > mailto:midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com<
      >> > unsubscribe from this group, send an email
      >> > to:midatlanticretro- unsubscribe@ yahoogroups. com<*>
      Your use
      >> > of Yahoo! Groups is subject
      >> > to:http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/
      >> >

      >> > Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask
      >> > your
      >> question
      >> > on

      >> > Recent Activity