4653Re: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius II work processor

  • William Pechter
    Dec 5 3:33 PM
      Syntrex was in Eatontown, NJ and did high end work processing systems for Legal Offices etc.  They were founded by a number of people connected to Interdata and Bell Labs.

      They did their development on a pair of PDP11/70's on Unix and built their stuff in C with an 80x86 (I think 80186 maybe 80286) as the target platform.  They used 8 and 14 inch winchesters and had mirror disks and stuff very early on in office automation.

      I was the DEC Field Engineer doing maintenance on their RP04's and RP05's that they had on the 11/70's.

      The building's since been used by Manhattan Bagel and a number of other companies.  Last I heard of Syntrex was the late 80's.  PC Lan stuff and Microsoft NT server killed them.  They were high function stuff -- but their price was lower than minicomputers but higher than PC stuff.

      There's a connection to MARCH with these... they were highly redundant and networked word processing workstations.

      Took a half hour and found the following
       From 1979 to 1992, Mr. Sinnott was the founder, President and CEO of Syntrex Inc.
       Due to the rapid development of the computer, Syntrex Inc. was sold to
       Phoenix Technologies in 1992 in a chapter 11 restructuring. Prior to founding
       Syntrex, Inc., Mr. Sinnott founded Interdata Incorporated, a company that
       developed, designed and manufactured the first 32-bit mini-computer.

      Bill

      B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
      Anyone interested in a Syntrex Aquarius II word processing system?
      It's basically a 1983 computer with a boot disk, etc. I am going
      to take a look at one later today, if anyone wants it (I don't) let
      me know. I will have more details later. Not much on the web about
      these. Collectible/historical?
      Bill

      -- E N D --

      <*> Your email settings: