45Two months until TCF...

  • evan947
    Feb 9, 2005
      Hi everyone... so there are two months until TCF... how are your
      efforts to get everything in working order?

      I hope to finish the portable version of my Apple 1 replica this
      weekend. Fitting all of the parts inside the old PowerBook shell is
      going to be tougher than I expected. It will work, but it will be a
      very tight fit, which means it will also be too challenging to
      deconstruct into a more authentic-looking Apple 1 design (i.e., wooden
      case, desktop form factor). But I will bring some photos of a real
      Apple 1 so people can compare them. Most important, there will be
      some software demos. (I acquired the non-volatile IC mentioned in my
      last email about this project.)

      Finally got the batteries I needed from BatteriesPlus, in Whippany, NJ
      -- if you go there, ask for Rick, he was very helpful. I bought two
      packs of five cells each; the cells are C-size nicads, 1.2v, 3000ma.
      Rick explained to me that his store actually welds on the battery
      tabs, instead of soldering them, for strength and to avoid putting too
      much heat into contact with the cells. Cool. After that, I stopped
      at TechToys (a big r/c hobby shop) in the nearby town of Parsippany,
      and bought a variable amperage AC/DC quick (peak) charger from a
      company called Duratrax (fond memories of my teenage r/c days!).
      Vince (the replica kit's creator) was able to troubleshoot why my
      replica board worked with a TV but not with the LCD screen -- turns
      out I had two of the resistors in backwards (doh!) so there wasn't
      enough voltage getting to the LCD. (I'm not clear on why the LCD has
      stricter voltage requirements than the TV... oh well.)

      The final step, before I assemble it all into the laptop this weekend,
      is to build a simple voltage regulator to convert the 12v from the
      batteries into 5v for the board. I found an extremely simple way of
      making this, and put the .PDF diagram into the "Files" section of this
      Yahoo group.

      So, if anyone hears about an electrical fire or a terrible Dremel tool
      accident this weekend in central NJ, you can assume it was me. :)

      -- Evan "Case modder gone bad" Koblentz
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic