4275RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Next work day at InfoAge: Sat., Oct. 14

    Sep 29, 2006
      I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.

      From: Jeffrey Frady [mailto:Legodude522@...]
      Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:37 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Next work day at InfoAge: Sat., Oct. 14

      Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

      On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
      I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
      comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
      are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
      these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
      off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
      be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
      objects.
      Bill

      At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

      >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
      ><blueringice@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Evan:
      >>
      >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
      >> Computer to InfoAge.
      >>
      >> Nick Lordi
      >>

      >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
      >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
      >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
      >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
      >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
      >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
      >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
      >
      >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
      >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
      >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
      >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
      >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
      >litter.
      >
      >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
      >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
      >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
      >
      >Herb Johnson
      >
      >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
      >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
      >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
      >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      -- E N D --

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional