4147The email you've been waiting for! MARCH museum exhibit ideas...

    Sep 11, 2006
      MARCHins,

      Now that we've got some real museum space under renovation (albeit there is
      still lots to do), it is time to put serious consideration into our first
      exhibits.

      I have a bunch of ideas. Some ideas for the first two or three exhibits
      are:
      - Computers of the Mid-Atlantic and/or Computers of New Jersey -- appeals to
      the local audience.
      - The personal computer revolution -- colorful, flexible to design, easy to
      get lots of stuff that still works.
      - Computers in the Army (ENIAC, ENIGMA, SAGE, early microprocessors, etc.)
      -- this would be a great tie-in to the rest of InfoAge and would certainly
      help us gain the respect of InfoAge's management who are very
      military-centric in their vision for the facility.

      Future ideas:
      - The history of videogames / PC games -- appeals to children and their
      nerdy fathers.
      - Computing in business -- the opportunity to play with Big Iron, terminals,
      etc.
      - Portable computing -- abacii, slide rules, calculators, luggables,
      laptops, handhelds (this exhibit is my pet project!)
      - Operating systems -- speaks for itself and makes Mark "I (heart) OS/2
      Warp!" Dodel happy. :)
      - Applications -- a wide-open category, maybe narrow it to a local focus?
      - Input-output -- speaks for itself: peripherals galore!
      - Networking -- the earliest research to Ethernet (and Vines, etc.) to
      ARPAnet...
      - Computing's future -- a small exhibit that says, "You just saw the past,
      what happens next?"
      - Your idea here -- make a suggestion!

      Somebody had the idea several months ago to decorate our museum hallway's
      walls with relevant computer art, ads, headlines, maybe a timeline,
      t-shirts, logos, software boxes, etc. .... I think that's a great idea and
      it would really set apart our space. (I forget who thought of it.)

      If we work hard, then I anticipate our official "opening" by next summer,
      maybe even in time for VCF East 4.0 if we're very lucky. I also propose
      that we name it the "MARCH-Grabbe Computer Museum" in honor of Dmitry Grabbe
      who donated the vast majority of the current InfoAge computer collection.
      Then we can have a grand opening event and ceremony, etc. which will draw
      plenty of public and media interest. It would be * AWESOME * if we can
      merge that with VCF East.

      Pardon me for being redundant and getting a bit misty-eyed, but seriously,
      how cool would that be for our club after only 2.5 years of all-volunteer
      existence!? Why, I feel like a proud father already. Someone get me a
      cigar!*

      - Evan

      * I don't smoke, so the chocolate variety is preferred.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic