4147The email you've been waiting for! MARCH museum exhibit ideas...
- Sep 11, 2006MARCHins,
Now that we've got some real museum space under renovation (albeit there is
still lots to do), it is time to put serious consideration into our first
I have a bunch of ideas. Some ideas for the first two or three exhibits
- Computers of the Mid-Atlantic and/or Computers of New Jersey -- appeals to
the local audience.
- The personal computer revolution -- colorful, flexible to design, easy to
get lots of stuff that still works.
- Computers in the Army (ENIAC, ENIGMA, SAGE, early microprocessors, etc.)
-- this would be a great tie-in to the rest of InfoAge and would certainly
help us gain the respect of InfoAge's management who are very
military-centric in their vision for the facility.
- The history of videogames / PC games -- appeals to children and their
- Computing in business -- the opportunity to play with Big Iron, terminals,
- Portable computing -- abacii, slide rules, calculators, luggables,
laptops, handhelds (this exhibit is my pet project!)
- Operating systems -- speaks for itself and makes Mark "I (heart) OS/2
Warp!" Dodel happy. :)
- Applications -- a wide-open category, maybe narrow it to a local focus?
- Input-output -- speaks for itself: peripherals galore!
- Networking -- the earliest research to Ethernet (and Vines, etc.) to
- Computing's future -- a small exhibit that says, "You just saw the past,
what happens next?"
- Your idea here -- make a suggestion!
Somebody had the idea several months ago to decorate our museum hallway's
walls with relevant computer art, ads, headlines, maybe a timeline,
t-shirts, logos, software boxes, etc. .... I think that's a great idea and
it would really set apart our space. (I forget who thought of it.)
If we work hard, then I anticipate our official "opening" by next summer,
maybe even in time for VCF East 4.0 if we're very lucky. I also propose
that we name it the "MARCH-Grabbe Computer Museum" in honor of Dmitry Grabbe
who donated the vast majority of the current InfoAge computer collection.
Then we can have a grand opening event and ceremony, etc. which will draw
plenty of public and media interest. It would be * AWESOME * if we can
merge that with VCF East.
Pardon me for being redundant and getting a bit misty-eyed, but seriously,
how cool would that be for our club after only 2.5 years of all-volunteer
existence!? Why, I feel like a proud father already. Someone get me a
* I don't smoke, so the chocolate variety is preferred.
- Next post in topic >>