4142RE: [midatlanticretro] Star Trek 40th anniversary event -- update

    Sep 11, 2006
      Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!

      Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can help us
      is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through for us then
      I'll ping Bruce.

      Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
      Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
      Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed Windows
      3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used for
      the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM changed the
      meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And for the 1995
      release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and Kate Mulgrew to be
      present at the official product announcement. Somewhere I have a video of
      that event. It was very nerdy.

      Mark
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic