4138Re: [midatlanticretro] Great day for MARCH at InfoAge!

  • Joe Giliberti
    Sep 10, 2006
      I'll join next time as well. I enjoy painting.

      On 9/9/06, Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> wrote:

      Yes, it was a great day.  Also my friend Tom Martino would like to help out next time, he is more of a military fanatic than computers but still willing to help.

      As for painting the walls, I will probably be able to do that.  I've done it a few times before at home and not bad at it.

      I took so many pictures, I will try to get them all on my photobucket tonight.

      Hi all,

      We had another very successful workday at InfoAge today.

      Myself, Joe Giliberti, Jeff Frady, Herb Johnson, Mark Dodel, and new member
      Nick Lordi were there. I gave a brief tour to Joe's father and to Nick, who
      each then had to leave. Nick showed us the front panel from an EAI TR20
      analog computer that he'll eventually bring to the museum.

      Me, Joe, Jeff, and Mark cleared out the first room of our museum space in
      the building behind the main building. It was full of random junk and a
      bunch of old water-soaked CRTs. We tried sweeping the floor but that wasn't
      going too well. Jeff and Joe continued working in there and helped out with
      a few random tasks. Herb arrived, so he and Mark began restoring the three
      pedestal mini-exhibits of Bob Noyce, Jack Kilby, and Jay Forrester which
      were given to InfoAge by the U.S. patent office and promptly adopted by
      MARCH. I was in the basement, installing a new hasp-and-latch on the door
      to our storage room. That along with a padlock was supplied by Larry, the
      InfoAge facilities director. So now our storage room is finally locked and
      secure! (Or at least secure to anyone who isn't armed with a phillips
      screwdriver for removing the latch.)

      We five then went our for lunch and much fun ensued.

      Mark had to leave after that, so Herb continued working on the pedestals,
      Joe and Jeff attacked the museum room clean-up with newfound tools (a metal
      scraper and then a belt sander), and I joined Fred on a trip to Home Depot.
      We bought carpet for our museum room -- $200 and InfoAge picked up the tab.
      When we got back, I found that Herb had removed all of the mold from the
      pedestals, and he even did some extra cleaning in the men's room while
      waiting for us. Joe and Jeff did an amazing job in the museum room; the
      floor was stripped completely and is now ready to be carpeted. They had to
      leave, but Herb stayed and repainted the pedestals (yes, they were in THAT
      BAD condition.) He kept going until he literally ran out of paint, by which
      point it was already 7pm.

      We'll install the carpet another day, and we may or may not paint in that
      room, depending on how ambitious we're feeling..... there is no hurry.

      So, in summary, we got a LOT of good things accomplished today. Joe, Jeff,
      Herb, and Mark all worked very hard and left behind the sweat and tangible
      results to prove it. Thanks guys!!!

      I'll be down there a couple of times in the next month-ish, at the least to
      represent MARCH at next Saturday's NJARC event (the broadcasters hall of
      fame ceremony.) I can probably handle installing the carpet, but I suppose
      we should paint ..... ugh I really hate painting and I stink at it. Any
      volunteers?

      Otherwise, next up is the swap meet, then I'll be distracted for most of
      October planning for VCF (Nov. 4-5), and then we can organize a holiday
      party. The party could be at InfoAge, or at someone's house, or we could
      get a room at a restaurant. Suggestions welcome and/or volunteers to host
      it.

      - Evan

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic