      From: Herb Johnson [mailto:hjohnson@...]
      Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:25 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: As previously asked / re: museum volunteers?

      > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
      >
      > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
      volunteer just
      > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
      involve
      > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
      tour, and
      > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
      whatever
      > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
      MARCH if
      > they're interested.
      >
      > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
      >
      > - Evan

      I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
      First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
      Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
      program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
      MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
      tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
      Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
      "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
      organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
      show their exhibits.

      In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
      security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
      like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
      FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
      call if someone is drunk.

      Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
      things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
      about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
      visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
      it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
      to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

      I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
      strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
      almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
      Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
      with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
      But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
      enough that you can perform that role, for now.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
      address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
      days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
      floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

      what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM