3856Re: [midatlanticretro] New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge
- Jul 20, 2006Bill,
1. I would like to play with the Banyan server if it has the software. StreetTalk was the first directory-based LAN OS. There is a lot of interesting history surrounding this. After polluting my basement for a while I would move it to the museum. I'd like to build the most convoluted network possible in the museum as a demonstration of "vintage LANs and protocols". When you look at these vintage LAN products, it's easy to see why TCP/IP on Ethernet won. Banyan is a good example of a great product where the company shot itself in the foot. (The Tandy of networks.)
2. Is the Wangwriter a multi-user system? Do you have any terminals? This might be a good choice for the museum as an example of the pinacle of the "word processor era". [FWTW, WangNet was possibly the most difficult to install and run networks ever sold. Naturally GF chose it as the backbone for LANs in the 'new' headquarters because it was broadband and thus supported video distribution as well as data. At best it barely supported the Wang word processors.]
3. sell it
4. Is this a TokenRing MAU? If so, it's museum material.
5. I'm not sure what this is but I suspect it is the hardware 'license key" Novell used as copy protection. If that's correct, please hang on to it for the museum. We may need it.
6. Is this a ThinNET (coax) device or is it for StarLAN (early 1Mbps twisted pair LAN)? Either way, let's keep it.
7. Appletalk to Ethernet bridge - sounds cool - let's keep it.
8. & 9. ???? No idea.
----- Original Message ----
From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:23:12 PM
Subject: [midatlanticretro] New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge
I have received the following items. These will be put into the
auction in October and the remainder will be offered for donation
1. Banyan Systems network File Server BNS386 (anyone know VINES?)
2. Wangwriter Model 5503 c. 1980
3. IBM Displaywriter System Chassis (without monitor or keyboard)
4. Synoptics Mod 2350 8 port concentrator (2)
5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
6. Excelan, Inc. 8 port ethernet (pre 10b 2) hub
7. Kinetics model KFPS-4 Ethernet-->Apple Talk boxes. 10 base2
8. Hitachi 2.4 MB 5/14 drive HFD532EIU internal, unsure what this
would go into.
9. Chatterbox Series 4000 backplane for ?? by J & L Information
If anyone is interested in these items, let me know.
-- E N D --
Yahoo! Groups Links
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>