3856Re: [midatlanticretro] New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

    Jul 20, 2006
      Bill,

      1. I would like to play with the Banyan server if it has the software. StreetTalk was the first directory-based LAN OS. There is a lot of interesting history surrounding this. After polluting my basement for a while I would move it to the museum. I'd like to build the most convoluted network possible in the museum as a demonstration of "vintage LANs and protocols". When you look at these vintage LAN products, it's easy to see why TCP/IP on Ethernet won. Banyan is a good example of a great product where the company shot itself in the foot. (The Tandy of networks.)

      2. Is the Wangwriter a multi-user system? Do you have any terminals? This might be a good choice for the museum as an example of the pinacle of the "word processor era". [FWTW, WangNet was possibly the most difficult to install and run networks ever sold. Naturally GF chose it as the backbone for LANs in the 'new' headquarters because it was broadband and thus supported video distribution as well as data. At best it barely supported the Wang word processors.]

      3. sell it

      4. Is this a TokenRing MAU? If so, it's museum material.

      5. I'm not sure what this is but I suspect it is the hardware 'license key" Novell used as copy protection. If that's correct, please hang on to it for the museum. We may need it.

      6. Is this a ThinNET (coax) device or is it for StarLAN (early 1Mbps twisted pair LAN)? Either way, let's keep it.

      7. Appletalk to Ethernet bridge - sounds cool - let's keep it.

      8. & 9. ???? No idea.

      Jim