Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

37118Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH museum promo video

Expand Messages
  • Ray Sills
    Aug 8, 2014
      Copyright infringement:

      With regard to music licensed by ASCAP, BMI or SESAC (the major rights
      organizations in the US), it does not matter -who- is performing the
      music (original artist, cover artist, instrumental version..
      whatever)... it is the music's performance "publicly" that is the
      important fact.
      That includes juke boxes, night clubs, concert halls.. regardless of
      profit or non-profit status, to say nothing of broadcasting.. over the
      air or on the web. ALL of those venues require a license.

      Some venues can get a free license (like those 10 watt high school FM
      stations)... but most will have to fork over some money. Sometimes,
      it's not too much... IIRC, a BMI license for a juke box in a diner
      (for example) was about $50 a year. Probably ASCAP is about the
      same.. but you'd probably need both licenses. Now and then, you might
      notice a decal on the entrance door for a diner, showing that they
      have a current ASCAP or BMI license.

      And, often as not, using music is what gets stuff bounced from YouTube
      or FB. So.. a work-around is to use public domain music (but usually
      that is -old- music), use music from a music production library (and
      pay a fee for the usage) OR... compose your own music.
      Garage Band from Apple will let you do that. And, don't forget to
      assert your copyright by placing your name, the year, and the (c)
      symbol or the word copyright some where obvious in the work.

      73 de Ray
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic