36878Re: OT: Hamfest Sunday, July 13th. Augusta NJ

  • s100doctor
    Jul 18, 2014

      ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <kelly@...> wrote :

      I agree that a good hamfest is useful for our group, but I always debate about if it is on topic or not. I picked up a DEC PDP CPU handbook.

      It seems to me "hamfests" are comparable to modern computing hacking events, in terms of relevance to vintage computing. They are all exercises in becoming informed and active participants in information technology. In the 21st century, it's hard to think about "technology" at a binary level because most people are far removed from that point of view. That was  true in the 1970's, because of a LACK of access to "information technology". It's true today because that technology is transparent - like water to fish.

      Herb
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic