36765Re: [midatlanticretro] Tektronix Oscilloscope X-Y Art Synthesizer Demo

    Jul 3, 2014
      On 07/03/2014 09:50 PM, Dan Roganti ragooman@...
      [midatlanticretro] wrote:
      > ​I was looking at your video again and I remembered something we did
      > back in the 70s using this method​ regarding computers. See, not all of
      > us could afford logic analyzers while in high school, and some colleges
      > couldn't even afford one. So there was this alternate way to debug the
      > hardware. Basically, you took the address bus and data bus and via a
      > "chip-clip", wired it to a DAC (digital to analog converter). So the
      > voltages from the DAC each correspond to a memory address and the data
      > bus values. And then depending on which type of test you need to check,
      > you connect the voltage output from the DAC's to the X,Y or separately
      > using the TimeBase. And so you get a signature pattern for each
      > different test you run. This view gives you a look into how the hardware
      > might be failing, if it took the wrong branch, etc, for the different
      > test programs.

      Steve Ciarcia did an installment of Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar on
      exactly this topic. I believe the article was entitled "Build a
      Penny-Pinching Address State Analyzer". Good stuff.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3