36764Re: [midatlanticretro] Tektronix Oscilloscope X-Y Art Synthesizer Demo

  • Dan Roganti
    Jul 3, 2014

      On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM, billdeg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Having a little fun with my Tek scope and synthesizer.

      Tekronix 5403 Oscilloscope X-Y Art with Synthesizer
      Tekronix 5403 Oscilloscope X-Y Art with Synthesizer
      Demo of Tektronix 5403 Oscilloscope in X-Y mode. Using a synthesizer I generated sound wave forms that render shapes and patterns. Tek modules uses...
      Preview by Yahoo

      ​I was looking at your video again and I remembered something we did back in the 70s using this method​ regarding computers. See, not all of us could afford logic analyzers while in high school, and some colleges couldn't even afford one. So there was this alternate way to debug the hardware. Basically, you took the address bus and data bus and via a "chip-clip", wired it to a DAC (digital to analog converter). So the voltages from the DAC each correspond to a memory address and the data bus values. And then depending on which type of test you need to check, you connect the voltage output from the DAC's to the X,Y or separately using the TimeBase. And so you get a signature pattern for each different test you run. This view gives you a look into how the hardware might be failing, if it took the wrong branch, etc, for the different test programs.
      Dan

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic