36278Re: [midatlanticretro] Epilogue Cromemco System 1

  • David Hayden
    Jun 3, 2014
      Here's something that might be common knowledge, or might not. Where did
      the name Cromemco come from?

      The story I heard was that the company was founded by a couple of
      Stanford students who lived in a dorm called Crothers Memorial. On
      campus it was called CroMem. So their company was CroMemCo.

      I heard a similar story about SUN. The founders got the idea that "the
      network is the computer" at Stanford. The Stanford network at the time
      was called the Stanford University Network. If you went to one of the
      network terminals to login, you were greeted by the message "Welcome to
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic