36144Re: [midatlanticretro] Floppy Drive & Hard Disk Models for the AT&T PC7300

    May 28, 2014
      I'm sorry for chiming in late here.

      I just checked one of mine, which has an original floppy drive. It's
      a Teac model FD-55BV-06-U.

      Hard drives run the gamut. They were shipped with many different
      makes and models over the years. The formattint utility would deal with
      most any geometry, so it was very flexible.

      On unmodified machines, though, there are two limitations on maximum
      drive size. The 7300/3B1's MFM controller is limited by the use of a
      WD1010 controller chip which only supports up to 1024 cylinders. Many
      people have replaced them with WD2010s, though, to get around that
      limitation. Also, there's a hack to use more than 8 heads. This was
      commonly done even when those machines were new.

      I think the eBay listing below is priced pretty high, FWIW.

      -Dave

      --
      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ