35866Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: The Machine Emulator (TME) running on a Mac?

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    May 8, 2014
      On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On 05/07/2014 05:52 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
      > Sun 2 and Sun 3 are holes in my otherwise fairly extensive Sun hardware
      > collection, unfortunately. I'd love to acquire a couple, given space to
      > put them in.

      Ahh, memories. Fantastic machines.

      In early 1992, my business partner and I sold a pair of Sun3/160
      systems to a wacky guy in the DC area. In January of 1993, I moved to
      DC to work with that very same wacky guy, at first just to assist in his
      moving from Sun-3 (68K) to Sun-4 (very early SPARC) systems. He was
      running about five big Sun-3 systems at the time. Everything needed to
      be recompiled and tested to move services over to the new Sun-4 systems
      that had, erm, "fallen off a truck" in our direction.

      That wacky guy was, of course, Doug Humphrey, and those machines were
      access.digex.net, ss1.digex.net (Staff Server #1), universe.digex.net,
      news.digex.net, ns.digex.net, and a few others.

      I have a few of those Sun-3s here, but not quite enough of them. ;)

      Yeah, I _love_ 68k-based workstation hardware.  I dunno what it is about it, but those were the workstations that I was so amazed by, as a young man, and they made a lasting impression.  I really do need to add at least 1 Sun-2 and 1 Sun-3 to my collection, as the earliest thing that I have is an SS1 (thanks, Dave!), right now.

      I also really want to get a CycleQuad, or other Ultra AX-MP-based system, to replace the one that was my personal workstation, back in 2001.  I used that machine, for years, and loved it.  I have _no_ idea why I let it go.

      - Alex
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic