35743RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Catweasel, are they still available or is there an alternative

  • Malcolm Macleod
    Apr 29, 2014
      >From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of billdeg
      >Malcolm's PDF from his class states that the AHA 1522A is his board of choice for imaging.

      Dave Dunfield’s site has a registry showing the imaging capabilities of various floppy controllers -> http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img54306/pcfdc.txt

      I like the AHA-1522A because it is still fairly easy to obtain, and it will do SD and DD (including DD 128 byte sectors) at all 3 data rates (250, 300 & 500 kbps).

      Dave’s registry shows that:

      * The AHA-1542B will do SD, DD & DD/128 at 250kpbs, but has not been tested at 300 or 500kpbs rates. This means that it should work fine for imaging most vintage 5.25" disks (but not GCR, and not HD) in a standard 35- or 40-track 300 RPM 5.25" (non-HD) drive. It is unclear whether it will work with 5.25" HD or any 8" drives. My guess is that it probably will.

      * The AHA-1542CF will do SD & DD at all 3 data rates, but won’t do DD/128 at any data rate. This shouldn’t be a significant limitation – not many systems seem to use 128 byte DD sectors. I’ve only found one so far – an obscure CP/M disk with 52 x 128 byte DD sectors.

      Note that I’ve not tested either of the above 1542 cards. I’d be interested in any other AHA-xxxx results that people generate.

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic