35723Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Catweasel, are they still available or is there an alternative

  • David Riley
    Apr 29, 2014
      On Apr 29, 2014, at 9:51, billdeg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Malcolm's PDF from his class states that the AHA 1522A is his board of choice for imaging.

      Side note - I seem to have been able to image Apple II disks, but not write back to a floppy. Not surprised, but I was curious as to what the image looks like under the debug microscope.  Maybe there is a way to convert the 5/3 tracks somehow.  I see now why everyone goes ADT.

      PC floppy controllers can't do GCR; the flux transition pattern isn't valid FM or MFM. The only controllers I know of off the top of my head that can do that are Apple's SWIM controllers in HD-floppy Macs (Apple's 400k/800k format is pretty much the same as their 5.25" floppies) and custom flux-transition recorders like on the KryoFlux and similar (does Catweasel operate the same way?).

      When you say you "imaged" them, did you actually get a usable image out? That would surprise me very much indeed.

      - Dave
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic