35621Re: [midatlanticretro] Catweasel, are they still available or is there an alternative

  • Mike Loewen
    Apr 23, 2014
      On Wed, 23 Apr 2014, corey986 wrote:

      > Actually, I wanted to have a generic system that can do vintage 8" disks
      > and eventually 5 1/4. I want to start archiving everything I get my
      > hands on as this stuff ages, so much software is lost...

      I've been using Dave Dunfield's Imagedisk (IMD) utility for years to
      archive and recover diskettes, including 8". I also have a Catweasel MK4+
      for things that IMD or the native floppy controller won't handle.
      There's a list of IMD "compatible" motherboards and chipsets on Dave's
      site, but it's not completely accurate. For example, I had been using an
      Abit KT7A motherboard (on the list) for some time, until I discovered it
      wouldn't handle single-density (250Kbps FM). I've since moved to an Abit
      KV8PRO, which handles everything except 128 byte sector MFM, which hardly
      anything uses.

      The KV8PRO takes an Athlon CPU, with onboard 10/100/1000 ethernet, 1
      AGP 8X/4X slot, 5 PCI slots, SATA and IDE drive support, and 4 USB ports.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...