35609Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: VCF thoughts

  • Bill Loguidice
    Apr 23, 2014
      Sorry, I'm of the belief one can have it all, including a creative, fulfilling, and yes, fun life. No need to compromise and no need to spend all of that time in the pursuit of creation. Life can be endlessly fulfilling in a variety of ways, so why be so limited? With a full-time job and ever increasing family, I still find time to pursue plenty of significant creative endeavors while still finding additional time for the occasional extra bit of joy that gaming brings to my life. While you may consider gaming trivial, I consider something like your aggressive consumption of alcohol far worse. I don't touch the stuff myself, which I guess gives me more time for other things. I suppose that if I may use your own words for a moment, my time (and health) is more valuable to me than yours is to you. It's funny how statements like that work.

      Anyway, we clearly have a significant difference of opinion, and there's clearly no right way to live one's life, so no doubt any continued discussion would become increasingly pointless. My original argument still stands, though, that the blanket idea that gaming is any more trivial than most other activities doesn't hold water. Life and its activities are not so black and white.

      Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.

      Authored Books and
      Film; About me and other ways to get in touch

      On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On 04/21/2014 10:33 AM, Bill Loguidice wrote:
      > And I would never be the one to argue that one should not pursue
      > creative, life enriching endeavors. However, we all need ways to unwind
      > and/or "clear our heads." For me, that's enjoying videogames, computers,
      > and technology, and certainly a notable part of that is gaming. I'll
      > also argue that my years of videogames have given me superior reflexes,
      > recognition (by that I mean, I can quickly parse useful information from
      > a screen at a glance - far quicker than my co-workers who haven't had a
      > lifetime of gaming under their belts), and yes, even cognitive abilities
      > (not all games feature "mindless" action - some games really do require
      > you to think in creative ways).
      >
      > As with all things, it's all about perspective and balance. There are
      > many positive aspects to gaming. Taking it too far is bad, of course,
      > but that's applicable to just about anything, so no reason to single out
      > gaming. In any case, I find it rather narrow-minded when gaming is
      > singled out as "frivolous," "wasteful," or "non-productive," when just
      > about anything in life can qualify as that.

      I think we will have to agree to disagree here. While how you spend
      your free time is none of my business, I myself outgrew playing games by
      the time I was about 7. I discovered that, for me, learning new things
      and building/designing/creating things gave me a thrill that no game
      could ever even come close too...and it can be useful on top of that.
      I've never looked back. YMMV, of course.

      > So to my mind, when you
      > think gamers are "drooling in front of a game," ask yourself what you
      > drool in front of. I bet there's something that others would easily
      > classify in the same manner.

      You don't know me, nor do you know what my day-to-day life is like,
      but I think you'd have a pretty tough time finding something that'd fall
      into that category. I seldom, if ever, need to "unwind" in a way that
      is not satisfied by eating or sleeping. I do frequently need to "change
      gears", so to speak; that need is satisfied by having multiple work
      projects (be they personal work or professional work) to context-switch
      between. If I just can't get anything productive done for whatever
      reason on a given day, I'll generally go learn something...I will study
      a new-to-me aspect of electronics or physics theory, computer science
      (algorithms, etc), a new language, or something along those lines.

      It may simply be that my time is more valuable to me than yours is to
      you, or that I'm more paranoid about wasting it than you are. As much
      as I hope otherwise, it is not likely that I will live to be a terribly
      old man...I have no desire to spend my time on frivolous pursuits which
      have no outcome whatsoever other than "spending" or "passing" time.
      Just like money, if I spend time, I want something in return. I will
      throw neither money nor time out the window just for the sake of doing
      so. Life is much, much more important than that...and I could never be
      satisfied otherwise.

      Now, Dave is not a dull boy. I do occasionally throw (or attend) a
      hell of a party and consume a volume of alcohol that would probably kill
      most people. This, however, is a rare occurrence, especially now that
      I'm up in PA where there is so much great and fun tech work available.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ