35304Re: [midatlanticretro] Making final plans to attend

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Apr 9, 2014
      David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

      >> The Friday University thing sounded like it had some hiccups to iron out.=
      > I know people took it in stride, but I also know one of the presenters wa=
      >s a bit miffed at all the last minute changes and the AV issues. Some feat=
      >her unruffling might be prudent.
      >It came off well for a first attempt, I thought. The schedule changes were =
      >unfortunate, but some of it was due to sickness.

      As one presenter scheduled in the tent, I dropped by Thursday to scope it
      out. It looked to be fine then; however, Friday proved out a few flaws.

      1. The cold and rain were more than the heater could compensate for. In
      the future, if the edges of the tent could be tacked down, that might help
      as the strong winds were blowing under its edges making it rather cold and
      dank inside.

      2. Please place some signage outside to keep those outside the tent away as
      sessions are being given. I had to talk over some rather LOUD conversation
      outside the tent -- both front and back. The rain and winds also added to
      the noise. That can't be helped but keeping people quiet outside can.

      3. This is just a personal miff. I was rather rudely interrupted when the
      pizzas arrived and they were tossed in the back of the tent. My presenta-
      tion was abruptly terminated by the vultures. Also, my kit cases and other
      personal items were on those tables. I did not appreciate the pizza sauce
      all over my pelican cases nor the use of my box of cables as the trash bin.
      Also, albeit I'm not a big pizza guy, by the time I got my laptop shutdown
      and my projector disconnected and stowed, the pizza was gone.

      4. A LARGER screen next year. I could have projected on the tent walls if
      the supporting struts were not in the picture but that small screen was not
      to my liking.

      5. The television monitor, for those that used it, needed to be elevated
      too. Seated upon the table, it was difficult to see beyond the first few
      seats.

      6. I put, normally billable, time into preparing my presentation. There
      was no honorarium paid -- which I understood from the get-go -- but there
      was also no lunch to be had nor a name mentioned in the VCF program. The
      insults are no way to procure future presentors/presentations.

      Please take my comments as constructive criticism. I realize this was VCF
      Univeristy V1.0. Hopefully, patches and bugfixes will abound for the next
      release.

      Just my $0.02 worth.