35291Re: [midatlanticretro] Making final plans to attend

    Apr 9, 2014
      Jim,
      Excellent suggestions, thanks.  I have heard similar comments.
      Bill

      On the show:

      • Enjoyed chatting with new faces and seeing the exhibits.  I would encourage the "exhibit placards" next year to include some blurb on what was being shown.  Most seemed to either be understood via the name, or obvious from the exhibit, but some left me scratching my head and the exhibitor was not there to explain the concept/context.
      • Great venue.  Lots of space.  I'd consider filling the middle of the rooms with something, though, as the exhibits halls, large as they were, looked a bit "sparse".  People complain about squeezing things in, but the more cozy atmosphere has some advantages.
      • Having the presentations in a different place was a big win.  ECCC/VCF-MW suffered a lot when the presentations happened in the exhibit hall.
      • More signage for the second exhibit hall would be appreciated.
      • I'm not sure the "exhibit halls don't open until 2PM" really worked.  People were in there all morning.  They were just too curious to stay out.
      • The consignment idea for the vendor area was a nice idea.  Kudos to those who manned it.
      • The programs were a nice touch.  Of course, they ran out Sunday, so that's a problem, but I guess a great problem to have.    Maybe a one pager with crucial info on it that can be quickly photocopied would be a good backup in lieu of overprinting programs in the future.
      • The food was a good idea.  Was it announced ahead of time?  I felt bad not partaking, but I assumed no food, so I made a Walmart run before coming to the show Sat morning.
      • The Friday University thing sounded like it had some hiccups to iron out.  I know people took it in stride, but I also know one of the presenters was a bit miffed at all the last minute changes and the AV issues.  Some feather unruffling might be prudent.
      • The Saturday dinner layout was a bit constraining.  4 person tables don't provide as much opportunity to talk to new faces and create interesting conversations as long 12 person or such tables.  Maybe neither works well, but I'd keep it in mind.  (I know there was an issue with 70 people showing up to a 50 person reservation, but that's a more common thing and is easy to sort out...)
      • If it is possible to get rect tables for the vendor room, I'd vote for that.  6' rounds took up a lot of room, and are not space efficient for sales items (people like the stuff to be at easy arms reach)...  Maybe the rounds were all that was left, dunno.
      • The vendor room saw lots of action, and thanks for letting me park there.  That said, I think Vince Briel and I would have preferred to be in the exhibit hall.  Vince could have provided some great comparisons between his Replica I and the real thing in the exhibit hall. (I know Michael Lee brought his, but still).  As for me, I'd have been happy to bring 1 or both of my Commodore C65s, or a SuperPET running Super OS/9, which is pretty rare as well.  I also have a Mensch Computer, a late 1980's machine of Bill's design intended for 65816/65265 development, which I am not sure anyone has seen.  But, I don't let the C65s out of my sight, as they are quite pricey.  I don't think the SW sales guy would care to be in the exhibit hall, and the consignment obviously needs to be in a separate place, but potentially the VAX sales area might have sold more with a setup to demo, and the Model M KB seller really should show those things in the exhibit hall (they were works of art, in my opinion).  If nothing else, it would have given the vendors a bit more opportunity to see the exhibits (I ditched my own tables for a while to view the exhibits, but I felt guilty doing that).
      • I felt bad that 6 exhibitors cancelled, but folks noted this was a high water mark for exhibits.  Impressive.
      • It seemed like poor Evan was stretched a bit thin.  Burnout is a bummer.  Would co-coordinators or "area-captains" help?