35088Re: [midatlanticretro] Stop the sexist jokes.

  • Paul Birkel
    Apr 2, 2014
      So, I tread carefully here .. as a complete newbie, however I believe that the point is that the discussion(s) and their "tone" have moved from what I'll call camaraderie to somewhere between locker-room and frat-boy -- not that I'm specifically impugning either of those venerable traditions, but they are a different place.  Not, IMO, this place.

      The fact is that while this isn't a "professional association" I do think that we want to maintain a bit of decorum and proprietyIf you wouldn't say it to your boss, or "around the office", then you probably shouldn't be saying it here.  It doesn't reflect well on the objectives of MARCH.

      Maybe it's just more noticeable to me in that I have a job where essentially all of my (software development) team are women, and my line-management have been women for most of my professional career.  I'd be more than a bit embarrassed by some recent remarks if they were made where I make my living. I expect that most of us would be similarly embarrassed in that situation (or I hope so :->).

      YMMV

      On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

      >All--
      >
      >There are some women on this list. Please stop the schoolyard jokes.

      Innuendo != Sexism;