34571Re: [midatlanticretro] Suggestions for composite to VGA and/or HDMI converter

  • David Riley
    Feb 27, 2014
      On Feb 27, 2014, at 8:29 AM, <bob@...> <bob@...> wrote:

      > I'm not going to be able to squeeze all my computers and large monitors into my small car for VCF and am thinking of using some LCD panels for display. None of them take composite video, of course, so does someone have experience with a particular brand/model converts that work? Or horror stories of models to avoid? Searching on Amazon is tiresome because their search tends to produce VGA to composite solutions.

      Monoprice has some that have decent reviews, but I haven't taken the plunge
      yet. Most convert to HDMI, which can be easily converted to DVI if you need.
      Let me know if you use any; I'm particularly curious about latency, because
      I've found that the latency using my AV receiver to convert to HDMI from both
      composite and component is unacceptably high for a lot of games (about 100 ms,
      which makes you feel like you're playing drunk). I'd like to find a good
      solution, though I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I should just
      roll my own for retrocomputing with good pixel smearing filters to make the
      Apple II look like it ought to.

      Speaking of which, if I made something like that, would people be willing to
      pay upwards of $50 for a box? That's about what parts would cost in qty 50
      or so.

      - Dave
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic