34430Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH's 11/44

    Feb 16, 2014
      On 02/16/2014 11:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> Humor me. What are the possible commands (and what do they do / what do
      >>> they return) in firmware mode?
      >>
      >> In this manual:
      >>
      >> http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/1144/1144_UsersGuide.pdf
      >>
      >> ...see section 2.2, "Console Commands", starting on page 2-4. (PDF
      >> page 33). It's a simple pseudo-front-panel monitor program...you can
      >> deposit data into memory, examine data in memory, execute from a
      >> specified address, execute a bootstrap for a particular device, etc.
      >>
      >> Note that all numbers (in all of PDP-11 land, not just here) are in
      >> octal notation.
      >
      > I see your point. Even the self-test looks pretty dull.

      Yeah. When you're at the ">>>" prompt, you're interacting with
      firmware running on an 8085 that has direct access to parts of the
      PDP-11/44's internal CPU bus, as well as the Unibus. That 8085 has 4KB
      of ROM and 256 bytes of RAM, on a very crowded board, and with all the
      bus control stuff going on, they'd have been hard-pressed to get much
      more functionality out of that.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ