34296OT: New job!

    Feb 7, 2014
      MARCHins,

      I accepted a full-time job offer today. Thank you to everyone who
      responded to my recent message in which I asked for leads/tips.

      I very much enjoyed my 16 years of being a technology journalist,
      despite the long hours and high stress. What I love most about
      researching and writing is that you do readers a valuable service. A
      couple of years ago I realized there are other ways to perform that same
      (or at least a similar) service without the career pressure. In my case,
      the alternate method is by doing computer history. Problem is, it's hard
      to make a living at that, other than by being a university professor
      (Ph.D. required) or being technical enough to run a company such as
      VintageTech (Sellam's old gig).

      So, I decided to get back into tech (LOL, as if that also doesn't have
      long hours and its own stressful situations...).

      I start this coming Wednesday with a small VoIP company here in central
      New Jersey. It's called VoicePulse. My title there will be support
      engineer. I will help customers, write documentation, do some QA
      testing, and maybe do some jack-of-all-trades work such as sales
      engineering ("I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't
      have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't
      you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?")

      VoicePulse's office hours and location will probably enable me to start
      attending more InfoAge staff meetings on Wednesday nights.
    • Show all 36 messages in this topic