34030Re: [midatlanticretro] Mission accomplished

  • DuaneCraps
    Jan 19, 2014
      Evan;

      Thanks for the pictures.

      The unit you are calling control is a mark 75 Signal Data Converter. It was used to convert various analog inputs to digital and digital outputs to analog.

      Types: of analog signals Synchro, scaled-voltage and Logic (think on-off relay signals)

      Examples:

      Synchro:

      INPUTS
      1) ships gyroscope: pitch , roll and heading
      2) Missile Director: train (azimuth) and elevation), target range
      3 )Missile Launcher: train, and elevation
      4) wind speed and direction

      OUTPUTS
      1)Director train and elevation orders
      2) launcher position orders
      3) Missile orders

      And many others

      Looks like a list of the signals and their SDC channels might be still taped to the front (keep that). I used to have little pocket cards with that information.

      Looks like the only door left on the 1219B’s is the one with nothing behind it. I think that the only reason they were put on was to meet EMI specifications. Some of the guys used to tune a FM radio about mid-band and listen to the “tune” it played when running the diagnostic program.
      It’s like the pattern if the pitch rollers slapping during the 1540 diagnostic. I can still hear it in my mind.
      I don’t remember the teletypes on 1532’s leaning like that. I suspect that they took out the front shock mount to make it easier for short people to read.
      Sometime when you get a chance; check the middle bottom drawer of the 1219’s for a metal box on the right side (control memory). this was a faster than main memory and used for index registers, interrupt vectors  and I/O buffer control words. It would occupy 0-377 (octal) in the memory map. I guess if you ever engineer a replacement for the main memory, it would be fast enough that  these addresses could be re-mapped to main memory. would need prints for that.

      TTFN

      Duane

      Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:38 PM
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Mission accomplished