34023Re: [midatlanticretro] Mission accomplished

    Jan 18, 2014
      On 01/18/2014 05:38 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > The UNIVAC is moved. Nobody injured. :)
      >
      > Details and pictures later...

      Okay kiddies, here's the full story with pictures at the end!

      Jeff J. and I arrived at 9:30. We found Corey and InfoAge's Steve G.
      already there. InfoAge's Joe G. also came to help, which was nice. Will
      S. also showed up.

      Jeff focused on preparing our new storage area to receive the Big Iron.
      The rest of us (including NJHDA's Dan L.) started planning how to remove
      CPU #1 from its busted pallet.

      After much debate, my idea won. :) We stacked three mattresses next to
      the 1,500-pound rack and used Steve's "come-along" (ratcheting chain) to
      ever-so-slowly-and-gently tip the rack onto the mattresses. It made a
      very soft and uneventful landing. Swapped the bad pallet for a good one.
      Then the opposite to get the rack back on. That took much longer but
      eventually we got it.

      The next thing to move was unrelated -- a 1990s Amdahl mainframe that
      belongs to InfoAge but is entrusted to MARCH (we'll demo it someday in
      an exhibit of "modern history" to show that mainframes didn't go away
      just because most computers got smaller and more personal). It was *
      dropped onto its back * by the people who delivered it a couple of years
      ago (MARCH wasn't there that day!). Once again, there was debate about
      the best way to stand it up onto its wheels ... and once again my idea
      is the one that worked after others' ideas failed. (Anyone see a trend?)
      :) Special thanks to Dan J., his son Dave, and Dan's friend Paul, who
      all helped in various ways.

      The rest of the move was less eventful because we got the two most
      difficult things done first. Also, it was all done safely, other than a
      small cut on Corey's ankle.

      We left some of the smaller/lighter (well, less heavy) UNIVAC items on
      plastic pallets. Jeff, myself, and others agreed the plastic pallets can
      handle these particular items. We transfered all of the REALLY heavy
      stuff (and also some of the smaller things where the plastic pallets
      were damaged from previous unrelated issues) onto wood pallets.

      We made very good use of our pallet jack today, because it was easier to
      roll stuff down the looooooooong hallway than to move it outside and
      around the buildings with the forklift.

      As the pieces arrived in our new storage area, we arranged them in an
      orderly aisle, vs. all jammed in a corner as before.

      But enough yapping. You're here for the pictures, which I put on my
      personal site as a temporary measure...

      Here are today's five main racks: http://snarc.net/1219b/all_comp.jpg.
      Left to right: control panel (ignore the cable spools on its pallet),
      data recorder / IO hub, tape drive, both CPUs.

      Here are today's three IO consoles (paper tape below, TTY above):
      http://snarc.net/1219b/all_io.jpg. All are identical.

      The second tape drive and the fourth IO console were previously put on
      display in our museum.

      Here's everything covered with pallet bags. (I just can't thank Will D.
      enough for informing us about the existence of these pallet bags! They
      are the best thing ever. Affordable, useful as heck, big, easy to work
      with.) http://snarc.net/1219b/all_covered.jpg

      Now for some close-up pictures.

      1. Control panel: http://snarc.net/1219b/close_control.jpg.
      1a. Details: http://snarc.net/1219b/close_control_detail.jpg
      2. CPU: http://snarc.net/1219b/close_cpu.jpg (unfortunately both CPUs
      are missing the top UNIVAC nameplates.)
      3. Tape drive: http://snarc.net/1219b/close_tape.jpg
      4. Data recorder / IO hub: http://snarc.net/1219b/close_datarecorder_io.jpg
      5. IO console: http://snarc.net/1219b/close_io.jpg

      The last picture is a funny one. After we moved everything, I noticed
      this sticker on one of the CPUs: http://snarc.net/1219b/funny.jpg.

      So, the full UNIVAC is back under our control, vs. in a locked-up
      InfoAge general storage area until now. This is a very good thing!

      Maybe, just maybe, I can find a way to bring it out for public display
      at VCF East. It depends on some other variables. Stay tuned!
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic