33974Re: [midatlanticretro] Good news / expected news

  • Cory Smelosky
    Jan 15, 2014
      On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >>> Does it power up?
      >
      > LOL well it's not a Commodore 64. One doesn't just plug in a UNIVAC and see what happens. We will have to spend years lovingly inspecting and restoring it. Also, by rule, JHU had to remove the core memory and not give us any software. So it will effectively remain a static display for quite a while. If we are lucky then maybe we can make its lights blink or do * something * in time for our big 10th anniversary next year.

      I meant: "had it been repaired to operating condition" ;)

      >>> Awww. :( I'd love to see one run with that terminal.
      >
      > We're very grateful to have the computer at all. :)

      True. They're not a common think to have.

      >>> How about an IBM 7090? ;)
      >
      > If you know if any up for grabs...!

      I'll let you know if I run in to one.

      >>> I've always envisioned a Straight-8 on a pedestal as an upon-entry display
      > myself. I'd love to own a Straight-8...it really is a beautiful machine.
      >
      > That will always be prominent in our minicomputer exhibit. Are you coming to VCF? Take your picture with ours!

      I'd love to get to VCF. I may be able to come! I'd love to meet up with
      you guys and get a pic with the 8. ;)

      --
      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net Personal stuff