33972Re: [midatlanticretro] Good news / expected news

  • Cory Smelosky
    Jan 15, 2014
      On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >>> Which UNIVAC?
      >
      > We have a 1219-B. It's a transistor machine used by the military starting in the mid-1960s. Ours came from the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.
      >
      > We have two CPUs (each about the size of an indistrial double-wide fridge), two tape drive units, two peripheral racks, four paper tape I/O consoles, and four Model 25 teletypes.

      Does it power up?

      > We don't have the optional electronic terminal nor the line printer.

      Awww. :(

      I'd love to see one run with that terminal.

      > We acquired this system a few years ago thanks to a connection made by Jeff J., however, due to some unfortunate InfoAge logistics it's been locked up in a storage building largely inaccessible to us. Now it will be in our own storage area where it belongs.
      >
      > This is MARCH's single most impressive artifact. We have the Straight-8 of local provenance, several coveted hobby computers, a Cray, an IBM 1130, etc., but if someone put a gun to my head and said we could only have one computer, then it would be the UNIVAC, hands-down.

      How about an IBM 7090? ;)

      > Our storage building lacks a certificate of occupancy, so we can use it and let staff in, but not the general public. There is precedent at InfoAge for getting the town's permission to open these buildings during special events, as long as we meet certain safety requirements. We definitely do NOT want the general public milling about our storage area, but maybe we can arrange some things in order to display the UNIVAC by itself. I will see if that is possible.
      >
      > Someday, when our museum exhibits are in the 7,000 square foot area which is presently storage (vs. the 1,500 square foot area for our current exhibits), then I envision the UNIVAC being our central display -- the first thing you see beyond the welcome desk.

      I've always envisioned a Straight-8 on a pedestal as an upon-entry display
      myself. I'd love to own a Straight-8...it really is a beautiful machine.

      --
      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net Personal stuff