33436Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair BASIC and hitting my head with my shoe repeatedly

  • Dan Roganti
    Dec 11, 2013

      On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
      Working on BASIC class.

      "Trivia question" - can anyone tell me why the following code works in
      MBASIC4 but not Altair BASIC?

      hint
      leaving out spaces (10 FORK=1TO1000) has no effect.

      using a different variable name (FORG=1to1000), no effect.

      MEMORY SIZE?
      HIGHEST DISK NUMBER? 0
      HOW MANY FILES? 1
      HOW MANY RANDOM FILES? 1

      43129 BYTES FREE
      ALTAIR BASIC REV. 4.0
      [DISK EXTENDED VERSION]
      COPYRIGHT 1976 BY MITS INC.
      OK
      10 FOR K=1 TO 1000
      20 PRINT K;
      30 NEXT K
      40 END
      RUN
      SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
      OK

      This works fine on 8K Basic, at least on the Emulator. But I noticed  your using Disk Extended Basic and this is one manual I don't seem to have in pdf - is it available ?
      Perhaps the "STEP" is required in that version

      =Dan

      still couldn't find a pdf on the Disk Extended Basic version, but
      I found another example program using this version
      Since that code works already in the 8K Basic version I tried, there must be some additional syntax involved.
      In this exmaple, they use spaces between everything, so
      10 FOR K = 1 TO 1000
      =Dan

      So I tried that code you posted exactly the way you typed - with both v5.01 and v5.1.  and there's no syntax error.
      I see you're using v4.0, Rich's emulator only has v5.0 and v5.1 of Disk Extended Basic.
      So after trying 3 diff version of Altair basic - I don't see where you're getting a syntax error.
      There can't be that much diff in syntax going from the 8K version to v5.1
      =Dan

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic