33423Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Festivus logistics thread

  • ian_primus
    Dec 10, 2013

      Ah, yes - the problems with the Eyestrain Boy. I am quite familiar, and yes, I can repair it. The source of the problem is most likely the flexible printed cable that connects to the LED assembly. You get these weird lines in the image, blank screen, etc. This is fixable, but unfortunately, it's not exactly the sort of thing that's likely to go over well at Festivus, as it requires sodium hydroxide and fine soldering - neither of which goes well with beer. Effectively - to repair the bad connections between the flex cable and the board, you have to dissolve the plastic portion of the cable, and then solder the conductors firmly to the PCB. This requires the aforementioned chemicals, and heat - usually provided by a toaster oven.

      -Ian

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic