33419Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Festivus logistics thread

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Dec 10, 2013
      David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

      >On Dec 10, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@tmesis.c=
      >om> wrote:
      >
      >> >Looks like my pumpkin pie cream ale will be ready in bottles by the week=
      >end=3D
      >> > (it's drinkable now, should be fully carbonated by then). Wish I could =
      >br=3D
      >> >ing more than 12 bottles, but so much of that batch got committed as gif=
      >ts =3D
      >> >this Christmas (and we already drank the rest from the keg). I'll be bri=
      >ng=3D
      >> >ing that.
      >>=20
      >> You haven't tired of pumpkin brews yet? This year seemed to have an extra
      >> early start and a much broader field of pumpkin ales. By September's end,
      >> I'd already had more than my fill of pumpkin ales; albeit, last evening, =
      >> had Southern Tier's Warlock which was quite nice and balanced.
      >
      >Well, I don't get a chance to get out much. We have a 2-year-old. We have
      >a VERY nice bar that is literally around the corner from us (we don't even
      >have to walk past a stop light), but I imagine the PA department of social
      >services frowns on even that... And as far as buying bottles goes, PA's
      >liquor laws make that an appalling proposition. We get friends passing
      >through Jersey to bring us cases home, but it limits our selection. That's
      >why I mostly just drink homebrew; it's cheaper, to boot, and I've never had
      >a bad batch yet.

      My youngest grandchild is almost 2 years old. My wife accepts to sit them
      often but I refuse to allow my kid's needs for sitting services impair my
      personal/social calendar. I did my parenting time; now it's their time!

      I was born and raised in PA. Save for the state store regulations, I don't
      recall any great impediments to beer access.

      >In any case, we had a lot of pumpkin this year (10 quarts of puree from 4
      >pumpkins), and we WERE getting tired of pumpkin-themed food, so something
      >had to be done. That, and the Austin Homebrew Supply store had a sale. So
      >I have some pumpkin ale. This one turned out reasonably sweet (without
      >being cloying) and without an overwhelming pumpkin pie spice flavor. I'm
      >reasonably pleased with it, though I wouldn't say it's the best beer I've
      >done by a long shot, but that's what you get with kits; I've a nice heavy
      >(and potent) brown ale of my own creation that's perfect for winter, but
      >that won't be ready for another month at least.
      >
      >Come to think of it, though, I might see if I can make pumpkin bread or
      >something similar to bring so we can get more of this damned pumpkin out
      >of our fridge. We still have something like five quarts left. Anyone got
      >requests for pumpkin-containing foods (baked or otherwise)?

      There are 4 pumpkins sitting here that my wife will use to make something
      for the holiday but I certainly don't need any more.

      Pumpkin bread, pies or cookies for Festivus might be welcomed. ;)